[Tutor] web2py vs django

Mal Wanstall m.wanstall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 01:39:40 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> "Kent Johnson" <kent37 at tds.net> wrote
>>
>> That thread is about web.py, not web2py, they are different frameworks.
>
> I confess I too had missed that subtlety!
> Like editors and standards...
> The wonderful thing about Web Frameworks in Python - there are so many to
> choose from!
>
> But it is confusing, my advice is just pick one and stick with it!
>
> --
> Alan Gauld
> Author of the Learn to Program web site
> http://www.alan-g.me.uk/

That is the advice that certainly worked for me. For a long time I was
switching between web frameworks, as each have their nuances which
make them seem better than the others, and what you end up with is a
bit of knowledge on each...but not enough on any single one to get the
full power out of it. There is always risk involved with backing a
single horse, but I found it massively beneficial when I did.

In the end I settled with Pylons because I like it's lack of glue
between components but I'm positive I could have done all of my
projects in any of the frameworks and each would have had their
challenges and successes.

Kudos to Massimo though; web2py is a spiffy idea and it's implemented well.