[Tutor] Help deciding between python and ruby

kevin parks kp8 at mac.com
Sun Sep 6 10:21:10 CEST 2009

Well, the only thing more annoying than off topic discussion is "meta"
discussion on lists and folks passing judgement on other people's
posts (ie. you should have x, your should not have Y... I shouldn't
have this second doughnut, but you know what, i am gonna eat that
*and* have a second cup of coffee). So i'll resist the temptation to
reply to Luke in detail, who i did not realize was a moderator here.

In any case, I happen to have right in front of me, a brandy new
spendy (in Korea anyway) copy of the Lutz book Learning Python 3rd
Edition O'Reilly and if you look at "Part I Getting Started," the book
begins with a very compelling section called "Why People Use Python"
and it outlines:

Software quality
Development productivity
Program Portability
Support libraries
Component integration
Enjoyment

and the end of this chapter, pp. 18-19 has a section called: "How does
python stack up to language x" which gives a bunch of comparisons to
Ruby and others. Here he says:

[Python] is more mature and has a more readable syntax than Ruby.
Unlike Ruby and Java, OOP is an option in Python — Python does not
impose OOP on users or projects which might not apply.

Most of this has already been touched on in this thread ... But I
would add that that very past point is a HUGE reason why i use python.
For little pea-shooter scripts I don't want to have to know and apply
advanced OOP concepts. Yet if you do know them and your project
requires it... it is there. One of the criticism of Python by Ruby
users is that it isn't as "purely OO" as Ruby is. It is up to you
whether that is a bug or a feature. But you can go quite far in Python
without being an OOP guru but i am not sure that is entirely true of
Ruby. Check with Ruby users. Personally i don't want to have to know
how to do Schenkerian analysis and set theory just to have my first
piano lesson and play Mary had a little Lamb, and i don't want to
learn Norwegian just to hear a Norwegian folk tale. I like to dig
right in and Python is good for that for sure.

-k