[Tutor] Help deciding between python and ruby

kevin parks kp8 at mac.com
Sat Sep 5 15:25:18 CEST 2009

1. go to the book store
2. pull a copy of learning ruby by Michael Fitzgerald (ora.com)
3. pull a copy of learning python by Mark Lutz (ora.com)
4. read chapter 1 of each
5. make a decision
6. get to work

Alternately check comp.lang.python where this question comes up over
and over and over and over
and worry your head some more.

And while i am all for python advocacy. I:

1. Could not do better than the first 20 pages of the Lutz.

2. I am (and i am sure i will be over-ruled and shouted down for
this), not entirely sure the tutor list
is the appropriate place for this query. Places like comp.lang.python
better serve this purpose.

  for folks
who want to ask questions regarding how to learn computer programming
with the Python language.

I am not entirely sure i want to hear a long drawn out thought
experiment on what one person thinks
upon adopting a new programming language. I joined this list to learn
the specifics of programming in python
and to get help and learn from the questions and answers posted by
others. If this place too gets clogged with
python -v- perl, python-v-ruby, phython -v- php navelgazing it is
going to ruin the tutor list which has a pretty
clear mission and has served that purpose very very well over the
years i have been on it. I think we should
redirect this query and avoid "mission creep"

All IMO, YMMV, etc. & co.

If you think i am just being a jerk, at least take my initial advice.
The ora books BOTH have
great overviews of each language. A cup of coffee and reading the
first 20 pages of each
will tell you great overviews of Python v Ruby.

-kevin