[Tutor] problem adding Tkinter

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 31 13:40:11 CET 2009

"Kristin Wilcox" <wilcoxwork at gmail.com> wrote

> [This is my problem:] I've been using IDLE successfully to do very
> very simple exercises in Python, and now I wanted to start on some
> very simple exercises including the Tkinter library.

Which vwersuion of Python are you using?
In version 3 Tkinter has been renamed to tkinter

> I could do import _tkinter but not import Tkinter
>
> This is what I received back from the Shell:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
>    import Tkinter
> ImportError: No module named Tkinter

Try

import tkinter

if you are using v3.

> I am running Windows XP. Installed Python 3.1, and IDLE seems to be
> working okay...

OK Thats the problem, you need tkinter not Tkinter.

But if you are still at that stage of learning you might be better
downgrading to Python v2.7. Python 3.1 is getting there but its
not quite ready for beginners use just yet (IMHO).

HTH,

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site