[Tutor] Shortcut key calls TWO instances of IDLE

Richard D. Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 03:49:24 CET 2009

I just bought my first laptop, with 64-bit Vista SP1 on it. I'm trying
to learn a bit of Python 3.1.1 using IDLE. I've set up a shortcut to
idle.pyw (with   C:\Python31\pythonw.exe
c:\Python31\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw   as its Target). The shortcut has a
shortcut key, Ctrl + Alt + F. When I call IDLE by clicking on it in
Explorer, one instance of IDLE opens. But if I call IDLE with the
shortcut key, two instances open. This is only a small annoyance, but
I'm wondering why it happens. Any guesses?

Thanks,

Dick Moores