[Tutor] Using IDLE v2.6

Rich Lovely roadierich at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 25 15:31:03 CET 2009

2009/10/24 Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>:
> "Ken G." <beachkid at insightbb.com> wrote
>>
>> IDLE v2.6 but I was wondering if there is something better than IDLE.
>
> There is a wealth of options and a Google search on Python IDEs will throw
> many up.
>
> Some common recommendations:
>
> PyDev on Eclipse (good if you already use Eclipse for say Java or C++)
> Eric
> SPE
> Scipe/Notepad++  (but these may be windows only?)

I've got Notepad++ running nicely under wine on my ubuntu install, and
SciTE (which I'm assuming is what you meant) is open source and has
versions for most platforms - it's based on the Scintilla editor
widget, which is the system behind the excellent (IMHO) PythonWin IDE.

I do simiar to this, except I use IDLE for editing (I spend most of my
time on OS X or ubuntu) and quick testing and the python interpretter
for more complex testing - there are some known bugs in the IDLE
interpretter.  When I'm on Windows, I use PythonWin.

I'll also second Komodo Edit.  Although I don't use it for python,
it's extremely good at php, and seems well thought out.

ActiveState (who make Komodo), also produce the ActivePython
distribution, which is the usually recommended python distribution for
windows.

--
Rich "Roadie Rich" Lovely

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary,
those who do not, and those who are off by one.