[Tutor] Using IDLE v2.6

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 24 20:51:24 CEST 2009

"Ken G." <beachkid at insightbb.com> wrote

> IDLE v2.6 but I was wondering if there is something better than IDLE.

There is a wealth of options and a Google search on Python IDEs
will throw many up.

Some common recommendations:

PyDev on Eclipse (good if you already use Eclipse for say Java or C++)
Eric
SPE
Scipe/Notepad++  (but these may be windows only?)
Komodo  (from activestate)

Of these I was most impressed with PyDev and SPE (which includes
a GUI builder)

And there are several others.

Personally on Linux I, and several others, prefer to use the OS as
our IDE and stick with a 3 window approach:
1) running vim/emacs as editor
2) a python interpreter running in an xterm for experimenting/testing
3) a blank xterm for running the saved script

There is also a python mode for emacs if you are a heavy user
of emacs.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld