[Tutor] What language should I learn after Python?

Serdar Tumgoren zstumgoren at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 22:31:49 CEST 2009

Hi Mark,

I recently started dabbling with Java, which has some great texts on
object-oriented design and patterns (a skill that I'm finding helps
with Python).

If you have time on your hands, you might want to consider learning a
programming language that has a different philosophy or approach than
Python. So instead of Ruby (which I've found is strikingly similar to
Python in many respects), you might want to consider a language like
Lisp or Erlang.

I'm no expert though, so I'll just point you to the article where I
first encountered that advice:

Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years
http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html

And the portion relevant to your question:

"Learn at least a half dozen programming languages. Include one
language that supports class abstractions (like Java or C++), one that
supports functional abstraction (like Lisp or ML), one that supports
syntactic abstraction (like Lisp), one that supports declarative
specifications (like Prolog or C++ templates), one that supports
coroutines (like Icon or Scheme), and one that supports parallelism
(like Sisal)."

Good luck with the learning!

Regards,
Serdar