[Tutor] if n == 0 vs if not n

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Tue Oct 6 02:40:25 CEST 2009

Dave Angel wrote:

>>> Now in this case where it is only used as boolean checks which would be
>>> the most pythonic way if writing these checks?
>>>

> The shorter version may be preferable, but it doesn't generally give the
> same results.  Without knowing the possible data, these substitutions
> are not safe.
>
> For example, replacing       "if not n == 0"    with     "if n"
>
> will give different results for values of "", []   and so on.     It
> WILL work if you know that n is an int or float, however.
>
> DaveA

True, I took the OP's statement that they were to be used "only as
boolean checks" to mean that there was no type mixing going on.
Personally, I would say that checking a list or string for equality (or
lack thereof) with 0 is even less "preferable". ;)

Otherwise, one would at least prefer "if n != 0" to "if not n == 0", I
would think.

Cheers, Vern
--
This time for sure!