[Tutor] Python on multicore machines

OkaMthembo zebra05 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:15:14 CET 2009

Thanks everyone,

I realise that my question is vague on a few fronts. To try and clarify,
supposing i had a box running a
Python web app on it, and the web server handles say, 10 concurrent
requests. Now i've read that only one
instance of the  Python interpreter can run on a single machine. Can that
interpreter be invoked by the web server
to run several requests at once, or do the requests get queued and handled
one at a time? If the interpreter cannot
handle concurrent requests by the web server, is it because of the GIL? I am
thinking that on multi-core machines
the interpreter should be able to run different processes on each core, thus
being able to serve more requests?