[Tutor] the art of testing

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Nov 24 23:03:27 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Serdar Tumgoren <zstumgoren at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've started writing some "requirements", and combined with your
> advice, am starting to feel a bit more confident on how to approach
> this project.
>
> Below is an excerpt of my requirements -- basically what I've learned
> from reviewing the raw data using ElementTree at the command line.
>
> Are these the types of "requirements" that are appropriate for the
> problem at hand? Or am I not quite hitting the mark for the data
> validation angle?

I'm not really sure where you are going with this? This looks like a
data specification, but you said the data is poorly specified and not
under your control. So is this a specification of a data validator?

> I figured once I write down these low-level rules about my input, I
> can start coding up the test cases...Is that correct?

Yes...but I'm not really clear what it is you want to test. What does
your code do? What if a Filing does not have a 'Type' attribute?

Kent