[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 69, Issue 96

rick rdole1 at cogeco.ca
Fri Nov 20 18:11:48 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 16:40 +0100, tutor-request at python.org wrote:
> That is a surprise!  I was so use to using lprint as in Basic.  Oh
> well.  I will have to study up on fmt and/or groff.
>
> Would those two commands (fmt, groff) send data to lpr from shell?
> Is
> lpr the same hookup for USB port?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

well, for a long time, lpr didn't work, as all the distros had moved
away from the old lpd and gone with cups, but there was the old lpr
command that still expected lpd to be set up.   I just tried it on my
system (Ubuntu 9.10) and I find that lpr is yet again working, it has
been updated and is now a frontend for cups.

suggest you read the man pages for fmt and groff to see what those
commands will do to your text.  By default, they both output to stdout,
so you would have to redirect their output in some way to cups.

Rick