[Tutor] copy zip file from source folder to destination and unzip all files within destination

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 10:35:42 CET 2009

MARCUS NG wrote:
> Hey all,
> I have been searching online for ways to copy a zip file to a
> destination and extract the zip file with python.
> Currently nothing works due to my limited understanding.
> I am wondering if my syntax is wrong or am I missing anything?
> the code is as such. also if there is a better code, I am definitely
> open to it. If it is good, can you also explain steps?

It is probably good if you went through some beginner python tutorials...

anyways, there are many reasons why your script doesn't work...

> import shutil, zipfile
> shutil.copyfile('C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\myTest1..0.zip',
> 'C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\allFiles')
>
> zipfilepath='C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\allFiles\myTest1.0.zip'
> extractiondir='C:\Users\blueman\Desktop\allFiles\test'

note that you're defining 'extract' with two required arguments here:

> def extract(zipfilepath, extractiondir):

you're calling a module, which doesn't make sense. What you want is to
call zipfile.ZipFile(zipfilepath)

>     zip = zipfile(zipfilepath)
>     zip.extractall(path=extractiondir)
>     print 'it works'

remember that you defined 'extract' with two required arguments earlier?
Here you're calling 'extract' without any arguments. You should pass two
arguments to extract: extract(something, something_else)