[Tutor] Introduction - log exercise

Nick Stinemates nick at stinemates.org
Tue Nov 17 19:30:51 CET 2009

> I will read lines from file, with the 'for loop', and then I will check them for
> 'foo' matches with a 'while loop', if matches I (somehow) re-initialise the
> list, and if there is no matches for foo, I will append line to the list. When I
> get to a blank line (end of block), write myList to an external file. And start

Can you please explain what you mean by _re-initialize the list_ ?

> with another line.
>
> I am stuck with defining 'blank line', I don't manage to get throught the while
> loop, any hint here I will really appreciate it.
> I don't expect the solution, as I think this is a great exercise to get wet
> with python, but if anyone thinks that this is the wrong way of solving the
> problem, please let me know.

Can you explain why the following won't work?

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
import gzip
# At the moment not bother with argument part as I am testing it with a
# testing log file
#fileIn = gzip.open(sys.argv[1])

fileIn = gzip.open('big_log_file.gz', 'r')
fileOut = open('outputFile', 'a')

for line in fileIn:
    while line != 'blank_line':
        if 'foo' not in line: