[Tutor] Should a beginner learn Python 3.x

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 15 01:16:57 CET 2009

"Stephen Nelson-Smith" <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote

>  Beginner", or perhaps some online guides.  Should I advise him to
> stick with 2.6 for a bit, since most of the material out  there will
> be for 2.x?  Or since he's learning from scratch, should he jump
> straight to 3.x

Version 3 support is getting there but I still don't think it's fully
suitable
for beginners yet. I'd say stick with version 2.6 (or 2.7!) [Actually v3 is
fine for beginners the problem is as soon as they try to do anything
beyond beginner they will likely run into support issues...]

That having been said my tutorial for V3 is making slow but steady
progress and the basics section is complete and I'm slowly ticking
off the advanced topics so he could try that. (see this sig's url)

But personally I'd still go with v2

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site