[Tutor] moving directories into directories

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 12 10:10:37 CET 2009

"Christopher Spears" <cspears2002 at yahoo.com> wrote

> I'm trying to move a bunch of files and directories into another
> directory.
> Unfortunately, I keep getting an error message:

> OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: './TAPE_ARCHIVES'
>
> The problem seems to happen when I try to move a directory into another
> directory:

I think what is happening is that you are trying to copy something that
has an equivalently named item already existing in the target. When
you do this at a UI the OS asks if you want to replace it, but in a program
it can't do that so it throws the exception. You need to handle that case
by
catching the exception and ignoring it, or stopping or whatever.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site