[Tutor] parameters vs arguments

BINTO binto at triplegate.net.id
Fri Nov 6 04:06:04 CET 2009

I understand now…

Thanks

Binto

From: ALAN GAULD [mailto:alan.gauld at btinternet.com]
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 7:41 AM
To: BINTO
Subject: Re: [Tutor] parameters vs arguments

> Parameter is what used to give/call value in function.
> Argument is what used to give/call value in command line interface.
>
> Am I correct??...

No.

parameters are what you use when you create the function definition.

For example

def f(x):

    return 2*x

x is the parameter.

Now when I call f() I must pass in a value (or variable with a value).

The thing I pass in when I call f() is the argument.

f(2)

2 becomes the argument for this particular call to f.

The parameter x of f takes on the value 2 during this particular invocation.

z = 7

f(z)

z is now the argument of f for this invocation.

The parameter x takes on the value 7, which is the value of the argument, z

x is always the parameter of f() but the argument can change

each time you call f()

HTH,

Alan G.