[Tutor] Find a good linux distribution with python.

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Mon May 25 18:22:50 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:57 AM, Michael Bernhard Arp Sørensen <
michael at arpsorensen.dk> wrote:

> <snip>
> I just wished that Python was upgraded in the distros. If I want to play
> with Python3, I will need to compile it my self and specify which Python
> interpretor to use in each Python file. But this is a small problem. <snip>

In Ubuntu Jaunty(?)- 8.11 I believe- you can apt-get the python3 package (or
whatever you use). I think there's also a python 2.6 package and the default
is python 2.5.

I'm assuming you use terminal, and if so you can setup aliases in your
.bashrc to go into whatever "mode" you want. Just add these lines to your
.bashrc

alias pymode3='alias python="python3"'
alias pymode1.6='alias python="python1.6"'

I forget if/how to change ipython between versions of python though. You'd
just have to put similar aliases in your bash file.

HTH,
Wayne