[Tutor] sqlite3 format data from tables

David david at abbottdavid.com
Sun May 24 01:15:55 CEST 2009

Martin Walsh wrote:
> David wrote:
>>> I have a budget program I am using to learn from.
>>> http://linuxcrazy.pastebin.com/f3b301daf
>>>
>>> I can not figure out how to get the transaction details to return so
>>> that it looks nice. It returns like this now.
>>>
>>> Your transaction History is: [(1, u'Food', -100), (2, u'Deposit',
>>> -200), (3, u'Deposit', 500), (4, u'Python Book', -50)]
>>>
>>> Here is how it gets to that point;
>>>
>>> def get_transactions(self):
>>>     ct=self.connection.cursor()
>>>     ct.execute("select * from transact;")
>>>     return ct.fetchall()
>>>
>>> def report_transactions(self):
>>>     return self.database.get_transactions()
>>>
>>> def display_transactions(self):
>>>     print "Your transaction History is:",self.bl.report_transactions()
>>>
>>> self.menu[5]=("Transaction History",self.display_transactions)
>>>
>>> Can I use the numbers 1,2,3,4 as a way to return the history?
>>>
>>> Thanks, I hope I explained it correctly :)
>>> -david
>> Ok this seems to work OK;
>>     def display_transactions(self):
>>         transactions = self.bl.report_transactions()
>>         for data in transactions:
>>             print "Transaction History: ", data[-2], data[-1]
>>

> It would be helpful if you showed the output you expect. Here is another
> option ...
>
> def display_transactions(self):
>     transactions = self.bl.report_transactions()
>     print "Your transaction History is:"
>     for n, k, v in transactions:
>         print ' %-15s %10.2f' % (k, v)
>
> HTH,
> Marty

Thanks very nice,

Your transaction History is:
  Food               -100.00
  Deposit            -200.00
  Deposit             500.00
  Python Book         -50.00
  Gift                300.00

Also thank you Alan for your tips :)

>> def report_transactions(self):
>>     return self.database.get_transactions()
>
> Unless you intend doing something useful this function
> is just an extra later of processing!

I got a kick out of it, helped me understand how the different
function's and the classes work together, thats all, I found most of the
code on the web and just patched it together to be honest :)

>> Can I use the numbers 1,2,3,4 as a way to return the history?
>
> I don;t really understand what you mean by this bit?

Here is the data as it is returned from sqlite;
Your transaction History is: [(1, u'Food', -100), (2, u'Deposit', -200),
(3, u'Deposit', 500), (4, u'Python Book', -50)]

I was wondering if the numbers could be used to return the contents of
the tuple's.

Sometimes it is hard to ask a good question when I don't have a clue,
thanks for your patience.