[Tutor] Calling method in parent class

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Tue May 12 11:21:38 CEST 2009

Le Tue, 12 May 2009 10:55:18 +0200,
The Green Tea Leaf <thegreentealeaf at gmail.com> s'exprima ainsi:

> OK, bad example. But assume I have the same method in both classes and
> want to call the method in the parent.

That should not happen! Basic contract is: same name = same meaning.

Either you implement a method in a parent class to let all instances of child classes use it; with possible overriding in specific child classes. Or you have two different methods with different names that implement different semantics.

Having two methods with the name that both need two be used on the same object is clearly a design flaw. What do you think?

The only case is when the parent method performs a part of what child class methods have to do. E.g a common case for __init__:

class Parent(object):
	def __init__(self,arg0):
		self.arg0 = arg0

class OneChild(Parent):