[Tutor] Automated function creation / outsourcing code

Martin Klimach beachflags at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 28 11:34:48 CET 2009

Hi,

I started using python three months ago in order to create scripts for
the abaqus fea software. The initial script became bigger and bigger
and finding myself spending lots of time just trying to find the right
part in the code, I started looking into making my first own module.
Since I find it quite cumbersome to cut and paste code and then trying
to find all necessary input and return variables I have a question:

Is there a python editor, that can automatically turn a selection of
code into a function? Matching the input and return variables?

So far I have been using Notepad++ and i can't find this kind of
feature there or in the description of other editors. It would already
help if somebody could tell me what the exact name for this is. In
texnicCenter a latex editor a similar feature it is called
"outsourcing", is it here the same?

Thanks a lot,
Martin