[Tutor] compare csv file values against a python dictionary and create a new list from this.

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 02:04:26 CET 2009

ski wrote:
> hello,
> i have created this function that compares the values of a csv file
> against a dictionary, you can see the code, here
>
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/76705
>
> the affiliations list has 130 items.
>
> is there a better way to build the 'items' list?

Please define "better".

If you mean less code, create a list of just the variable values:

values = [['AAC', 'Association of Airline Cons.'], ['AALA', 'Adv.
Activity Licence. Auth.'], ...]

then provide some code to read the list and construct the dicts. In the
above I assume all is_selected are False so there is no need to include
that.

But why a list of dictionaries? Would not the values list be sufficient?

Or possibly even better define a class (Cls) and make each list entry an
instance of the class.

Then values = [Cls('AAC', 'Association of Airline Cons.'), Cls('AALA',
'Adv. Activity Licence. Auth.'), ...]

That I think would be far more useful in the long run.

--
Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC