[Tutor] Misunderstanding the Entry Widget

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 8 18:53:07 CET 2009

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote

> Yep, when I bowed of programming long ago, I had Ousterhout's
> (something like that) book, and finally sold it on Amazom 5 years
> ago

It was a good book in its day but is now well overdue an update.

The book I'd recommend getting is Tcl/Tk in a Nutshell from O'Reilly
Its only a reference but it covers Tk and Tix. There is hardly any
Python
docs for Tix although it is now part of the standard library.
(Actually
I think Tkinter needs an update too, there seem to be quite a few
new Tk widgets that are not available in Tkinter... or is it just that
they are not documented? I must have a poke around in v2.5...
But the Nutshell seems to cover all the stuff that is in Tkinter)

You can get a used Nutshell for around $6 via Amazon (and it
covers expect too should you ever dabble with pyExpect).

[ But note: for serious Tcl users the best book is Welsh's offering
  the Niutshell is just a reference that translates fairly easily to
Tkinter/Tix]

On Linux, I started using it in 1993 with RedHat 2 and Slackware 3.
I dropped out for a spell then came back to it around Slackware 7
and Mandrake (now Mandriva) 3? But then I bought a Mac iBook and
discovered cygwin and my current Linux box (Suse 9?) is lying idle.
It only gets booted when I want to test some web things because
it runs apache and Turbo Gears.

Although I do now have an Asus Eee mini laptop with Linux and I'm
using that to do some stuff now and then.

Alan G.