[Tutor] Misunderstanding the Entry Widget

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Mar 6 18:53:07 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I've just got to stop using one letter for variables, especially ones that
> sound alike! :-)
>
> Other than v tracking every value change made, did I gain anything by using
> it? It seems to me that control variables are of marginal use. I might have
> thought they were necessary for use with scale widgets, but I'm looking at
> an example that says otherwise. Can you easily construct a simple example
> where they are absolutely necessary, or at least provide a situation where
> they are necessary?

You need a variable to get the state of a Checkbutton. Variables would
be helpful if you had multiple controls displaying the same value.
They might give a useful decoupling between the GUI and other clients
of the data; they are a mini-model, in the Model-View-Controller
sense.

Kent