[Tutor] Best Python Editor

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 14 17:52:41 CEST 2009

"Alan Gauld" <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote

> Some of this might just be what we are used to too. Remember that
> IDEs as such didn't really come into existence till about 12-15 years

Sigh! I'm getting old....

In fact the first thing I would call an IDE in the modern sense was
probably Turbo Pascal v4 (previous versions didn't include a
debugger) which came out in 1987 according to Wikipedia.
So in fact IDEs have been around on PCs for about 22 years!
But they certainly weren't common on *nix until about the
mid 90's (Galaxy, Object/CodeCenter and HP Softbench
being very expensive exceptions!)

[ And of course Smalltalk80 had a very complete IDE in 1980,
(See Squeek screenshots for  some idea of how it differs from
modern GUIs!) but  Smalltalk has always been an exception to
the rules! ]

Apologies for the misinformation.

Alan G