[Tutor] Help..Concatenaton Error

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Fri Jun 12 05:46:58 CEST 2009

Randy Trahan wrote:

> Attached is an error I cannot get to work, I was doing a print concatenation
> but it won't let me get past "+ "ibly impressive. " \
> (then to next line)

If you had included the sample lines in your message, instead of an
attachment, then it'd be part of the mailing list, and I would've been
happier to help.  As it is, you attached a blurry image, rather than
just pasting the actual text.  Remember, this is a text mailing list.
BTW, what shell is that?  The error message seems to be singularly
unhelpful.

Where's your leading quote, the one before the \n ?  And where's the
trailing quote at the end of the last line?  And why are there two +
signs in a row on the second line?  There may be other typos, but I
can't tell, since it's not text that I can paste into my own shell.
> Also Programming Lanquage Question:
> I have studied and an fairly proficient at XHTML and CSS, I tried Javascript
> but just didn't like it for some reason..so I am trying Python which so far
> fits my personality, needs, whatever that part is that makes you choose a
> lanquage. Will I be able to use Python in web pages as I would of used
> Javascript?  From what I have read there are Python to Javascript
> converters?...
> Thanks in advance..
>

> -- Randy Trahan Owner, BullDog Computer Services, LLC 478-396-2516
> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

I don't know any way to run Python in the browser, without convincing
the user to download something.  That's what Javascript is (sort of)
useful for.  However, python makes a great language for the backend, in
other words to run on the server, generating the pages.

There's lots of overlap, but each can do things the other cannot.  For
the most obvious, javascript in the browser can run user interaction
much more readily, and responsively.  And python (or many other choices)
can  interact with the server's file system (eg. database) and other
resources much more readily than javascript could.

I use python for desktop programming, and for statically generating web
pages.  I haven't done any serious server-side programming yet, but I will.