[Tutor] Suggested source code folder layout

Walker Hale IV walker.hale.iv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 03:43:21 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Allen Fowler<allen.fowler at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> My 2 cents...
>>
>> 1) Since you are describing your source code layout, any virtual
>> environment should be outside. A virtual environment (virtualenv) is
>> part of deployment and not part of source. If you need to make a
>> reproducible deployment environment, then you need a deployment system
>> such as zc.buildout. You would store just the recipe for the
>> environment in source, but not the resulting buildout. Your build
>> recipe will typically go in the top of your source tree.
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/
>

> Good point about keeping the virtualenv out of the source tree in favor of "recipe", and copying the modules to lib or site-packages upon deployment.
>
> zc.buildout seems like a powerful tool, but I'm not at all clear on how to use it for this sort of task. (All the tutorials I can find to seem to zope related.)
>

> Do you have any examples you can share?

Heh heh. I guess the documentation at that URL is ... um ... utterly
incomprehensible to anyone not intimately familiar with Buildout. I've
only played with Buildout a little bit, and I couldn't make sense of
it. I suppose if you read it with a magnifying glass, you would
eventually figure out what you need.

OK... Go here: http://www.buildout.org/screencasts.html

Watch the first screencast. Things will start making sense then.

--
Walker Hale <walker.hale.iv at gmail.com>