[Tutor] unicode, utf-8 problem again

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Thu Jun 4 16:05:03 CEST 2009

Dinesh B Vadhia wrote:
> Hi!  I'm processing a large number of xml files that are all declared
> as utf-8 encoded in the header ie.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> My Python environment has been set for 'utf-8' through site.py.
> Additionally, the top of each program/module has the declaration:
>
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>
> But, I still get this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u201c' in
> position 76: ordinal not in range(128)
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Dinesh

Hi,

Take a read through http://evanjones.ca/python-utf8.html which will give
you insight as to how you should be reading and processing your files.
As for the encoding line "# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-", that is actually to
declare the character encoding of your script and not of potential data
it will be working with.

--
Kind Regards,
Christian Witts