[Tutor] renaming files within a directory

Christian Witts cwitts at compuscan.co.za
Mon Jul 27 15:04:00 CEST 2009

davidwilson at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> Here is the updated viersion:
>
> ---
>
> import glob
> import csv
> from os import rename
>

> countries = {}
> reader = csv.reader(open("countries.csv"))
> for row in reader:
>     code, name = row
>     countries[name] = code
>
> files = set([file for file in glob.glob('Flag_of_*.svg')])
>
> for file in files:
>     file = file[8:-4]
>     if file.startswith('the_'):
> 	file = file[4:]
>     if countries.has_key(file):
> 	b = 'flag-'+ countries[file] + '.svg'
> 	print b
> 	rename(file, b)
>
> But I cannot get the rename to take effect and I get an error:
>
> $ python rename_svg.py
> Uganda flag-ug.svg
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "rename_svg.py", line 21, in <module>
>     rename(file, b)
> OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
>
> What am I missing?

You changed the name contained in file from the original so it now
cannot find what you are referring to.  Try not to shadow built-in names
like file by the way, it can cause unintended side-effects.

Make changes to this effect:

for filename in files:
    fn = filename[8:-4]
    if fn.startswith('the_'):
        fn = fn[4:]
    if fn in countries:   # Dictionaries can be accessed this way and it
looks cleaner.
        new_filename = 'flag-%s.svg' % countries[fn]  # String
formatting is neater and faster than concatenation
        rename(filename, new_filename)

--
Kind Regards,
Christian Witts