[Tutor] renaming files within a directory

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 27 11:22:57 CEST 2009

<davidwilson at Safe-mail.net> wrote

> The problem is that for example the file Flag_of_the_United_States.svg
> when I use the strip('.svg') it is returned as Flag_of_the_United_State

Thats because strip removes all of the characters in the given string.

You would probably be better removing the extension using the
os.path.splitext() function.

> Also, How do I remove 'Flag_of', 'Flag_of_the_'

You could try replacing with a null string. Do the second one first
followed by the first if necessary, using the string.replace() method.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site