[Tutor] demo/turtle

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Wed Jul 22 21:08:34 CEST 2009

roberto wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Alan Gauld<alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> "roberto" <roberto03 at gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> i'd like to download the demo/turtle directory but i could not find
>>> the correct link;
>>>
>>> i need it to run the exampled cited in
>>> http://docs.python.org/library/turtle.html
>>>
>>> can you tell me where to find it ?
>>> my version is 2.6.2
>>>
>> I believe the new turtle module should be installed as standard on 2.6.
>> So the example code should just work.
>>
>> Which OS are you on? Some Linux versions of Python don't have Tkinter loaded
>> and that  will probably prevent turtle from running...
>> What happens when you try it? Do you get an error message?
>>
> the os is Xp;
> the problem is simply i cannot find this directory  in my current
> python installation folder ...

According to:    http://docs.python.org/library/turtle.html#demo-scripts,

the demo/turtle directory is in the *source* distribution.  Many Windows
users don't get the source distro, they just get the windows install
package.

Go to http://www.python.org/   and on the left side, find the link
labeled  "source distribution"   Click on it, and you should be able to
download   Python-2.6.2.tar.bz2  It's 10.6MB in size.
And inside that  tar.bz2 file, you'll find a directory
Python-2.6.2\Demo\turtle

DaveA