[Tutor] Question from a newbie

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 22 00:14:53 CEST 2009

"Deb" <SwiftStar at comcast.net> wrote
> My son suggested I play around with Python.

Hi, welcome to the tutor list.

> I was wondering if anybody has any real life applications?

There are several folks on the list who make a liiving writing Python.
Others, like myself, use it in their day job but its not the main or end
product (I use it for prototyping ideas that our Indian developers
eventually turn into Java....)

Some organisations - Google is the best known - use Python
for writing their test harnesses and admin tools etc. Several
Linux  distruibutions have used Python to create their admin
tools for adding users etc. HP did the same on Windows for
a while.

Blender is a well kinown open source graphics tool that uses
embedded Python as its macro language, as do a few others.

Check out the Python web site for more success stories to see
how widespread it is. Look at the links top right on the home page...

And of course it is also a great scripting language to replace
DOS batch files, Unix shell scripts and awk/sed/perl/Tcl etc etc

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site