[Tutor] hitting a wall (not a collision detection question :P)

David david at pythontoo.com
Sun Jul 19 22:56:32 CEST 2009

Michael wrote:
> I have virtually no background in programming.. I'm currently teaching
> myself python using the following books:
>
> Beginning Python - From Novice to Professional by Magnus Lie Hetland
> Beginning Python by Peter Norton et. al.
> Making Use of Python by Rashi Gupta
> Learning Python  by Mark Lutz
>
> as well as a variety of tutorials I picked up off the web. I'm using
> v.2.5.2, and I'm trying to upgrade to 2.6.2, but I'm running
> Linux/Ubuntu so the upgrade is giving me problems. The main reason I'm
> not using 3.1 is because all my books talk about 2.x.
>
> Ultimately, my goal is to delve into pygame and make some games and
> maybe some multimedia applications. I'd like my first project to be an
> old-school style RPG (e.g. Final Fantasy), as something with such simple
> graphics and interface would be a good benchmark of where I want to go
> from there.
>
> I've been progressing steadily, until now. At this point, I have a
> pretty solid understanding of strings, integers, tuples, lists,
> dictionaries, etc. and everything up to functions vs. methods and the
> basics of classes and OOP. This is where I'm hitting a wall. It's at
> this point the all the books go off in different directions and I'm not
> sure a) what I'm learning, b) why I'm learning it, and c) how this is
> going to help me get to my goals. I'm not really even understanding much
> of what these books are talking about at this point anyway. It's like a
> few chapters after "Classes and OOP" were torn out of all of them.
>
> So, I'm just wondering what I should be doing at this point. Sorry for
> the vague question, but I'm pretty lost right now and this is about as
> specific as I can be. Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Michae

I am new to Python and never programed before. What has helped me is to
think of something you want to automate, as an example I visit a few
different sites each day to view new bugs reported. I made a program
that emails me the differences from what I have gathered before. I take
a piece of paper and write down the steps that I think this will take
then start doing small pieces at a time and check each one to make sure
it works, plus this gives me encouragement to continue.
-david