[Tutor] browser encoding standards?

Serdar Tumgoren zstumgoren at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 02:05:42 CEST 2009

That's precisely the solution that worked for me, though I should say
that I only tested this in Firefox 3 on Ubuntu 9.04. The below blog
post circa 2006 suggests that IE at least uses some behind-the-scenes
magic to decide on an encoding when the declaration doe not appear in
the Content headers.

But I can't say I know how browsers handle the issue these days. I too
would be interested in hearing from others on this topic.

Meantime, for anyone else who stumbles into this, below are a few
links I've found useful as I try to wrap my brain around Unicode
(several have been mentioned on this list previously).

http://eric.themoritzfamily.com/2008/11/21/python-encodings-and-unicode/
http://evanjones.ca/python-utf8.html
http://wesc.livejournal.com/1743.html
http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/unicode