[Tutor] segmentation fault

Rick Pasotto rick at niof.net
Sun Jul 12 19:31:45 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 09:54:26AM -0700, Emile van Sebille wrote:
> On 7/12/2009 9:09 AM Rick Pasotto said...
>> I've got a script that I wrote several years ago and have been happily
>> using daily. Suddenly when I try to run it I get a segmentation fault.
>>
>> I'm running debian testing so probably some recent update caused the
>> breakage. How can I find out what's gone wrong?
>>

> If you're certain it's not otherwise environmental (out of space, bad
> memory or disk, packet flooding on network, etc), I'd try rolling back
> recent changes if that's convenient.  Sometimes an strace on the process
> leads me in the right direction.  If neither get you started, I'd try
> littering print statements through the code the track progress and try
> to narrow down where in the code it's happening.  I've sometimes
> stumbled over a specific line causing the problem, and can eliminate the
> problem by refactoring.  Be sure to report what you find upstream.
>
> There are probably other ways to isolate the problem depending on your
> focus.  Maybe someone will point you in those directions.
>
> Of course, this is not entirely unexpected when you're running testing.
> It could resolve itself on its own.

I downgraded 2.5.2-1.1 to 2.5.2-1 and all is well.

I've sent a reportbug that includes the last several lines of an strace.

"Upon common theatres, indeed, the applause of the audience is of more
 importance to the actors than their own approbation. But upon the stage
 of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if
 conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little
 value." -- John Adams
    Rick Pasotto    rick at niof.net    http://www.niof.net