[Tutor] Python Tutorials: How to create useful programs after learning the syntax?

Luis Galvan cynicalairrick at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:48:11 CEST 2009

Hello all, this is my first time using a mailing list, so I'm not sure if
I'm doing this right!  Anyway, I have a wee bit of a problem.  I've recently
completed watching a Youtube video series on Python 2.6 by thenewboston
which helped me a TON with learning Python's syntax and how to use some of
the various builtin modules.  I am very thankful for his tutorials, but the
only thing that I need is something to help me really grasp onto the world
of programming. (I'm new to programming)  What I'm looking for is a tutorial
series that walks you through the steps of writing a useful program in
Python.  Whether it be a text editor, a simple browser, etc, it doesn't
really matter.  I learned the syntax (at least most of it), but I guess I'm
just looking for something to help me learn to "utilize it".  Something to
teach me how I can use everything I learned about manipulating strings,
creating classes, and importing modules and how to stir it all up into
something meaningful.  Most people's answer to this kind of question is that
the best way to learn is to "play around with it", but personally I believe
that you can't really play with it if it you don't know where to start.  If
anyone has any idea on how I can really get started with programming useful
programs, please do let me know!  Any help would be immensely appreciated!