[Tutor] window graphics

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Jul 3 04:45:26 CEST 2009

Forwarding to the list with my reply...

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM, David H. Burns<dhburns at cherokeetel.net> wrote:
> I don't necessarily want to plot single pixels. I'm not at all sure what
> "directly" means in this context. "Plotting" to the screen involves sending
> data to a software algorithm which invokes the appropriate hardware to "turn
> on" the pixel. What I want is a simple and versatile way of displaying
> graphics. The ability to display a single pixel when desired seems necessary
> for that. I don't see that plotting single pixel would be slower than any
> other method, be cause at some point in any graphics package some algorithm
> has to do exactly that. It is true that modern graphics cards are
> complicated and have their own processors which allow many "built in"
> features using both hardware and software algorithms. So  it may be that
> what I think I want to do not the most efficient way to use them. But these
> cards musts be addressed by some software routine. I guess that is what I am
> looking for.

My point is, you should look for a higher-level of interface than
single pixels. What do you want to plot? Bitmap images? Graphs and
charts? Sprites?

Pygame and Pyglets and PIL will help to create and draw bitmaps and sprites.
PyOpenGL is perhaps the closest to the hardware.
matplotlib and a host of others are good for graphs and charts.
There are several good 3-D rendering programs for python
Tkinter Canvas lets you draw basic shapes
etc

Kent