[Tutor] Finding the End of a Def?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 24 18:13:00 CET 2009

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote

>  You can of couse use the folding feature to speed navigation
> between functions etc...
> Keypad * will fold/unfold everything...
>
> Interesting, but it folds way too much.

yes but you can use other keys to fold just the current function,
or even a while loop within a function or an if statement etc.

Its a very powerful feature and one of the reasons I use SciTe
as an alternative editor to vim (vim supports folding too but its
much more clunky IMHO). Using folding you can always collapse
a function to fit on a single screen and focus on just the 10-20
lines that really interrest you..

But for rapid movement around files Fold All, a mouse click
and then un-Fold All is very effective.

But I do agree that block level navigation seems a glaring gap
in Scintilla's features as a programmers editor

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site