[Tutor] running & debugging in python interactive shel

Che M pine508 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:56:50 CET 2009

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:20:45 -0600
From: srilyk at gmail.com
To: pine508 at hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Tutor] running & debugging in python interactive shel
CC: tutor at python.org

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Che M  wrote:

>> I'd like to add to this question and expand it:  can anyone point me to
>> a good resource on debugging *generally*?
> The first result on "Debugger tutorial" on google sent me to this:

> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~benjasik/gdb/gdbtut.html

> Though it's for a specific program, it seems to have some good general purpose advice.
> Personally, I've never had the need for a debugger (maybe because I'm not writing complicated
> enough programs) - a simple "print" statement (in the right spot) tends to take care of all of my
> debugging needs.

That page didn't strike me as very helpful for my case, but thanks
anyway.  I'll Google for it, too, but just wondered if any of the
tutors here had any recommendations.  I just checked Alan Gauld's
tutorial and I see it doesn't have a debugger section (completely
understandably, as this is sort of advanced).

I also use print statements a fair bit.  I've just heard that using
a debugger is a very useful thing and I thought maybe someone would
have some tips here or knew of a good Python-relevant tutorial about it.

Thanks,
Che

-Wayne