[Tutor] Creating simple windows in XP

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 15 13:18:46 CET 2009

"Alex Krycek" <agent.krycek at gmail.com> wrote

> I'd like to create very simple GUI's in XP.  For the sake of
> simplicity, I'm
> trying to avoid downloading and installing anything (although I am
> considering EasyGui).

The basic GUI framework in Python is Tkinter and that works fine on
XP.
See my tutorial topic on GUI programming for a very simople intro
before
trying any of themore fully featured Tkinter tutorials...

> To see how well it works, I've tried having my
> program run a Visual Basic script ( i.e.
> subprocess.call(someScript.vbs,
> shell = True) ).  It seemed to work ok. I was just wondering if
> there was a
> better and/or easier way of doing this.

That does of course work but is not really you creating a GUI its just
running another program. You could start Word or Excel just as easily!

There are many other Python GUI frameworks, some have GUI builders
somewhat like VB. But they are all downloadable add-ons. Tkinter is
the
only one that comes as sandard. Its primitive, but easy to learn and
use
for basic form style applications.

--
Alan Gauld