[Tutor] help with getting python to run from command prompt onWindows XP

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 15 01:42:40 CET 2009

"Marc Tompkins" <marc.tompkins at gmail.com> wrote

> -  Also as wesley said, there MAY BE two separate PATHs - in my
> experience,
> the user-level one is usually empty and can be deleted to avoid
> confusion.
> If it's _not_ empty, it's usually by mistake...

It should be used where multiple users use a single machine and they
each
install their own programs for their own exclusive use. Then the
programs will set the
local path not the all-user one.

Unfortunately XP tends to spoil the usefulness of this by making users
administrators by default instead of regular users or power users!
Administrators install things for all users by default...

<RANT>It has always frustrated me that Microsoft took a decision that
effectively bypassed one of the most powerful security devices on a
multi user computer by making Admin rights the default! And then
compounded it by making the only other option so brain dead nobody
would use it! How many ordinary PC owners are going to go to the
hassle
of starting up the policy editor etc to access the other levels of
access
that XP provides?? And thats assuming you have XP Pro.... XP Home
users dont even get the policy editor.
</RANT>

Alan G.