[Tutor] help

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 12 00:14:13 CET 2009

"rev pacce" <julianpaceqb at yahoo.com> wrote

> I have no expierence using python.
> I was following a tutorial and i kept getting a syntax error.
> it was >>> print "hello world!" hello world was not coming up

OK, I guess that you tried typing the >>> howerver that bit
should be produced by the Python interpreter. You need to
have an interpreter running before you start typing for most
tutorials. You can get an interpreter from your command
window or console or by using one of the GUI Python tools
such as IDLE or Pythonwin.

Can you tell us how you are starting python? Are you
getting a >>> prompt anywhere?

If you are using IDLE a good place to start is here:

http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/index.html

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site