[Tutor] Working with IDLE in XP, Set Up for A New Program

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 16:28:37 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

>  I immediately answered my own question by clicking on a link that took me
> to a web site with the pdf; however, it looks like I installed Python 2.6.
> It'll be easy to uninstall, but I don't see 2.5 -- yet.

http://www.activestate.com/store/download.aspx?prdGUID=b08b04e0-6872-4d9d-a722-7a0c2dea2758

They have python 2.5.2... something. On the right hand side, as of this
message, anyway.

HTH,
The Other Wayne

> Wayne Watson wrote:
>
> Hi, this is a continuation of my post from way back in August. I just
> installed Pythonwin. It's showing me a window for "Dive into Python".
> Apparently, it's an extensive document. How do I determine how many pages
> there are, and do I print the whole thing section by section? Maybe there's
> a PDF?
>
> ALAN GAULD wrote:
>

> > Where do I get pythonwin?
>
> Either download the Windows extensions as linked from the
> Python.org web site, or even better download and install the
> Activestate.com version of Python. Its free but you must register.
> It has lots of goodies and uses pythonwin as the default IDE.
> I use that on all my Windows PCs.
>
> Alan g
>
> Alan Gauld wrote:
>

> "Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net><sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>wrote
>
> would like to know if there's an easier way to start it than what I use? I
> pick on a py file, and then use the pull down menu, right-click, to select
> IDLE.
>

> Yes, it should be on the Start menu possibly listed as Python GUI.
>
> Or you can set up a shortcut to it by selecting idle.pyw in explorer and
> creating a shortcut and dragging it to your desktop.
>
> Or you could do yourself a favour and get the Pythonwin extensions and use
> Pythonwin instead. IDLE is fine for a cross platform IDE but it is ugly and
> less feature rich than Pythonwin. And the pythonwin installer sets up the
> menus etc for you.
>
> HTH
>

> --
>
>            Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
>
>              (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
>               Obz Site:  39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet                        "We are in a race between education and catastrophe."
>                          – H.G. Wells
>
>                     Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>
>

> --
>
>            Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
>
>              (121.01 Deg. W, 39.26 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)            *           "What killed the electric car? Expensive batteries did."
>               -- Physics for Future Presidents, Richard A. Muller***                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

> --
>
>            Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
>
>              (121.01 Deg. W, 39.26 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)            *           "What killed the electric car? Expensive batteries did."
>               -- Physics for Future Presidents, Richard A. Muller***                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,
every vice, has found its defenders, its rhetoric, its ennoblement and
exaltation, but stupidity hasn't. - Primo Levi