[Tutor] Suggestions for more efficient and optimized coding technique,

Michael Langford michael.langford at rowdylabs.com
Thu Jan 8 21:20:12 CET 2009

I understand that each response is unique Robert and no caching is
required to solve the problem at hand. However in a real program, the
chance you're brute forcing just one password is small (usually you
would brute force many); additionally, the question posted
specifically asked that the trials be cached, which is why I suggest
you do so, not out of any real need for just testing on the "loner"
testcase.

Additionally, the reason the aaaaa->zzzzz method is suggested is that
it a much faster algorithm to test every available combination than
the random method. The random method may never find the data.

I've created a frame work for you to play around with on this problem.
It shows how long different methods take in a more realistic scenario.
Try some other methods if you want, as well play around with password
length, the aaaaa->zzzzz method, etc. I've shorted then password
length to 3 to make it run faster  as well. Enough procrastination,
back to google app engine stuff.

               --Michael

#!/usr/bin/env python
import string
import random

# test code to simulate a computer system under
#    attack, no need to understand now
class Computer(object):
    def __init__(self):
      self.reset_password()

    def reset_password(self,length=3):
      self.secret_password=''.join(random.sample(string.ascii_lowercase,length))
      print('The new password is: ' + self.secret_password)

    def enter_password(self,teststr):
      """returns true if the password was correct"""
      return teststr==self.secret_password

# end test code

def rand_string(length = 3):
  """generates a random string of the given length"""
  return ''.join(random.sample(string.ascii_lowercase,length))

passcache = list()

def crack_password(comp):
  """repeatedly tries passwords on the given computer"""
  tries = 0
  while True:
       tries += 1
       if comp.enter_password(rand_string()):
           print( 'Password found in ' + str(tries) + ' tries.')
           return

def crack_password_cached(comp):
  """repeatedly tries passwords on the given computer"""
  for password in passcache:
      if comp.enter_password(password):
          print 'Password found in cache'
          return

  tries = 0
  while True:
       tries += 1
       s = rand_string()
       passcache.append(s)
       if comp.enter_password(s):
           print( 'Password found in ' + str(tries) + ' tries.')
           return

def hack():
    """hacks a computer via a brute force method"""
    my_computer = Computer()
    crack_password(my_computer)

def hack_cached():
    """hacks a computer via a brute force method with cached results"""
    my_computer = Computer()
    crack_password_cached(my_computer)

def mean(ls):
    """finds the mean of a list of numbers"""
    return sum(ls)/len(ls)

def test_case(funcname, repeats):
    """
     timeit is a python library for timing code. No need to
     understand how this works, just that its repeating the
     command given the number times specified by repeats. It's
     returning a list of the execution times of each of the trials
    """
    import timeit
    timer = timeit.Timer("%s()"%funcname,"from __main__ import %s"%funcname)
    return timer.repeat(number=repeats)

if __name__ == '__main__':

    times_to_repeat = 100

    uc_results = test_case("hack",times_to_repeat)
    c_results = test_case("hack_cached", times_to_repeat)

    print( "Cached mean time: "  + repr(mean(c_results)) )
    print( "Cached min. time: "  + repr(min(c_results)) )
    print( "Uncached mean time: "  + repr(mean(uc_results)) )
    print( "Uncached min. time: "  + repr(min(uc_results)) )

Michael Langford
Phone: 404-386-0495
Web: http://www.RowdyLabs.com