[Tutor] Interactive programming.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 8 02:21:24 CET 2009

"Edwin Boyette" <edwin_boyette at yahoo.com> wrote

> Don't try to make interactive programming something its not.
> It's handy if you have something short to try out, want to
> evaluate a function at some value etc.
> Don't rage at the hammer for not being an allen wrench

But in this case it is a valid complaint. Almost every other IDE
with an interactive prompt does pro[per indentation, IDLE is the
exception. Yet IDLE is theone most beginners use first!

I think this is a really serious bug in Idle and is one of the main
reasons I always recommend beginners use Pythonwin or
PyCrust or some other shell window. The Idle editor windows
are fine but the shell window sucks!

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site