[Tutor] Opsware Global Shell Scripting

Kayvan Sarikhani ksarikhani at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 23:51:13 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Sander Sweers <sander.sweers at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 22:04, Kayvan Sarikhani <ksarikhani at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > This is of course not a Python error, but as you might guess from looking
> at
> > the script, the whole $SERVER_NAME piece is probably wrong.
>
> Indeed the variables are wrong

Right...I thought so, but wasn't sure if there was any kind of equivalent
within Python...couldn't hurt to try. :)

> Almost, look at the below session in idle. The %s are replaced by the
> variables servername and logname. See string formatting [1] for more
> info.

> rosh -m testserver -l logname
>
> So you need to use something like below in your loop.
>
> roshCommand = 'rosh -m %s -l %s' % (servername, logname)
>
> os.system(roshCommand)
>
> I do not see the servername variable being assigned a value in your
> script so the above will fail. I assume it will be something like
>
> logname = '/var/log/somelogfile'
>
> You might want to look at the subprocess module as this gives you a
> lot more control but is also more complicated.
>
> Greets
> Sander
>
> [1]
> http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting-operations

Yes, it did fail...rosh needs the full path or the -n identifier to remote
shell into the VM's, and you're right that it didn't find it.

As for the $LOGNAME variable, that piece works for identifying the username
which is what I needed for that...it doesn't actually point to a log file or
the like. If I misunderstood what you meant, my apologies.

Thanks very much though, this is also a lot of help and definitely points me
in the right direction. I'll certainly check out string formating and see
where I can go from there. I did look at the subprocess module but I'm still
not sure I understand it...seems to have a lot of options and is flexible,
but I still need to examine how it's used.

Thanks!

Kayvan