[Tutor] Brand new to python have simple problem

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 12:48:09 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:06 AM, mickth <mickmick at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm brand new to python and every time i start to learn it i get the same
> problem and end up giving up and moving on to another language.
>
> the print statement doesn't work in either the comand line or IDLE i get
> this in IDLE:
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<pyshell#0>, line 1)
>
> and just SyntaxError: invalid syntax in the command line.
>
> Even doing the hello world or doing simple sums. If I type "hello, world" i
> get the right outcome but print "Hello world" i get the error. When i type
> print it's purple in IDLE if that means anything.
>
> I've tried reinstalling python and tried an earlier version with same
> results. i'm running windows vista home prem 32bit
>
> I know i may seem an imbecile for posting such a simple thing but i'm
> determined to learn it this time i've already learnt vb and C and want to
> broaden out!

Could you please give an exact copy (both your commands and the
reactions, with copy and paste) of the idle session that leads to the
error message? Here is what I get (working), you might be able to find
from this where it goes wrong, but if not, please show what you get so
we can look at it:

>>> "Hello world"
'Hello world'
>>> print "Hello world"