[Tutor] SMTP Module Help

A.T.Hofkamp a.t.hofkamp at tue.nl
Wed Jan 7 11:49:25 CET 2009

Marco Petersen wrote:
> I'm using Python 2.5.4. I wanted to try out the SMTP module. I tried to
> send an email through my Gmail account but it keeps saying that the
> connection was refused.
>
> This is the code that I used :
>
> import smtplib
> msg = 'Test'
>

> server = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.gmail.com')
> server.set_debuglevel(1)
> server.ehlo()
> server.starttls()
> server.ehlo()
> server.login('marco.m.petersen at gmail.com', 'password')
> server.sendmail('marco.m.petersen at gmail.com',
> 'marcoleepetersen at gmail.com', msg)
> server.close()
>
> This error message keeps coming up:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "C:/Python25/send_mail.py", line 5, in <module>
>    server = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.gmail.com')
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\smtplib.py", line 244, in __init__
>    (code, msg) = self.connect(host, port)
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\smtplib.py", line 310, in connect
>    raise socket.error, msg
> error: (10061, 'Connection refused')

'Connection refused' usually means that the other side doesn't like you for
some reason.
(In other words, it doesn't look like a Python problem but like a network
problem.)

Since it happens before you can start the protocol, my guess is that
smtp.gmail.com does not accept your machine as valid to speak SMTP with (at
least not at the port you are trying).

The person to talk to would be the owner/admin of smtp.gmail.com.

Sincerely,
Albert