[Tutor] extracting a column from many files

Moos Heintzen iwasroot at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 22:17:08 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Bala subramanian
<bala.biophysics at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I want to extract certain 6 different columns from a many files and write it
> to 6 separate output files. I took some help from the following link
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2004-November/033475.html
>
> to write one column from many input files to a particular output file.

Let me see if I understand what you want to do. You have file1.txt,
file2.txt, file3.txt ...
and you want to read n columns from those files?
It gets confusing. How many columns do you want to read from each
file? How many columns does each output file have?

Also, it would be very helpful if you give us the format of the input
and output files.