[Tutor] KeyError: 'DEFAULT'

Isaac Eiland-Hall daychilde at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 20:34:09 CET 2009

http://python.pastebin.com/m26864a1b

Traceback (most recent call last):

                File "./loopy", line 328, in <module>

set[current_set][current_section][current_key] = current_value

KeyError: 'DEFAULT'

First, apologies for the formatting - I'm teaching myself python after
having taught myself PHP, so I probably make amateur mistakes. I'm currently
working in a 120-character-wide environment for my own purposes, with plans
to perhaps change this later.

The purpose of this program, as it stands now, is to read an INI file and
parse it, line by line. Doing this by hand because my program will take the
INI file and generate multiple INI files for another program, and loop
through them (hence "Loopy" - I didn't come up with the name.)

My "Loopy" commands are lines in the INI that begin with a colon, e.g.
":SET=somename" starts a new set.

Lines 294-335 are where I've determined that the input line contains a
key-value pair. Well, I should backtrack.

"set" contains not only the various sets, but I track where I'm at in
set["+current+"] - I have to track the current set and section (INI section,
e.g. [DEFAULT]).

So what I'm trying to do on line 328 is to store the current key/value pair
in a dictionary under the proper section, which is in the proper set. Hence,
set[setname][section][key]=value

You can see my insanely-verbose log here:

http://python.pastebin.com/m6dcfb96d

That was from a run where I commented out line 328. (that dos the actual

Googling "KeyError" seems to indicate problems while trying to *retrieve*
values from a dictionary, whereas I'm trying to *set* values.

Does anyone have any insight?

Also, although I'm not formally requesting feedback on my coding style,
that's mainly because I don't want to waste anyone's time. But if you have
suggestions, please - I'm open. I'm self-taught and I'm sure I'm doing lots
of stupid things. I just hope it's not all bad. ;-)

Thank you most sincerely,

-Isaac Eiland-Hall